Barely a year-old investment returns massive gains to one maverick investor by turning $8,000 into $5.7 billion.
An investor in a fairytale run turned $8,000 worth of Shiba Inu ($SHIB) into a whopping $5.7 billion in less than a year as $SHIB breaks into the top ten cryptocurrencies by market capitalization.
Shiba Inu now sits in ninth position ahead of Dogecoin with a market cap of $38.6 billion. With many branding the token a meme coin, the surge has become a self-fulfilling prophecy with first-time investors willing the token toward success. The surge may well have given us the greatest trade ever.
In a tweet by @MorningBrew, a wallet address with $8,000 worth of $SHIB purchased in August last year remarked – ‘This wallet bought roughly $8,000 of $SHIB last August. It’s now worth $5.7 billion. From $8,000 to $5.7 billion in roughly 400 days. We may actually be looking at the greatest individual trade of all time.’
Vitalik Buterin could have indirectly assisted in $SHIB’s massive rally by sending 90% of the coin gifted to him to a dead address and the remaining 10% was given to charity in May. The burn accounted for more than 40% of the total tokens in circulation.
Individuals are now taking to social media with their newly found wealth through $SHIB. Many investors see this trend as an unsustainable hype. $SHIB is listed Coinbase and is rumored to be considered for listing on Robinhood after a survey listed the meme coin into its list of mainstream cryptocurrencies.
A Dogecoin Killer?
The recent surge of meme coins has had an impact on the crypto industry. The previous surge in Dogecoin signaled a local top before the crypto market tanked. It was largely fueled by retail investors seeking to make quick gains. Meme coins became an attractive choice because it is fun, light-hearted, and appeal to the young crowd.
Unlike Dogecoin, Shiba Inu’s value proposition comes from a slightly different perspective. In its whitepaper cleverly named ‘Woof Paper’ centers its core propositions on a decentralized protocol and the project is 100% community-based.
Created in August 2020, its founder(s), Ryoshi, a pseudonym for the unknown creator in a blog post said – I have said from the beginning, I am a nobody, I am not important. The efforts to unmask my “identity” even if successful would be underwhelming. I am just some guy of no consequence tapping at a keyboard and I am replaceable. I am Ryoshi.
The end goal is pinned to $SHI and an algo-stable coin that is pegged to 1c that can be used as a store of value and as a method of payment. Shiba Inu has its own swap platform known as ShibaSwap and plans on its own layer-2 blockchain known as Shibarium.
Not a Mere Meme Coin
There is utility, value, and vision that sets Shiba Inu apart from the pack. It may not be a coincidence that $SHIB has overtaken $DOGE in terms of market cap. However, there will be stories of fairy-tale runs in this rally and $SHIB is one of them.
The label of a mere meme coin may not be a fitting label judging from the aspiration of the community-owned project. However, proper risk assessment on an asset that has pumped close to 94,000,000% in the last 1-year ought to be a serious point to consider before investing into $SHIB.
Source : bsc.news
Founded in 2020, BSCNews is the leading media platform covering decentralized finance (DeFi) on the Binance Smart Chain (BSC). We cover a wide range of blockchain news revolving mainly around the DeFi sector of the crypto markets. BSCNews aims to inform, educate and share information with the global investment community through our website, social media, newsletters, podcasts, research, and live ask me anything (AMA). Our content reaches hundreds of thousands of global investors who are active in the BSC DeFi space.